You don’t need to have a broker to buy stocks, mainly if you don’t want any expert advice to guide you in choosing which stocks to buy or not, because brokers can sometimes cost extra money. It is true that the well-known way to buy and sell investments is by opening a brokerage account, but still, there are others who want to buy stock without a broker. If you want to go down this way to business ownership, you can do so, but with varying degrees of success – there is no condition that you have to work with a broker to invest in stocks mutual funds, particularly equity funds.
You have two choices if you like to buy stock without a broker: The first is to use a discount brokerage service online. The second is to buy stocks directly from the company.
However, direct investing offers some advantages and disadvantages, with which you will have to weigh things based on your personal condition. You will still need to decide whether such an approach is appropriate for you given your unique circumstances and preferences.
BUY ONLINE WITHOUT A BROKER
- Look for a discount brokerage that fits your needs.
Check the price of buying individual stocks directly and account minimums. Other companies provide discounted trades, if you maintain a high balance in your account. Oftentimes, there are hidden fees. When you differentiate companies, find the trading cost and search the section that reveals the fees.
- Observe how hard it is to utilize the online broker’s software.
Other companies provide good buys in trading stocks, but sometimes it is quite hard to trade, unless you’re a technology-savvy. Some companies provide a spot to try their trading software. Use their demonstration model prior opening your account.
- Open the account and send your check or money order.
Other companies provide automatic withdrawal from a checking account, but most it needs you to mail in a check to put money in the account. You are ready to trade once the money is in your account.
- Choose the stock and number of shares you want to buy.
You also need to decide on the cost you wish to pay. You can pick a market price or limit your order. A limit order means you will only pay a specified amount for a stock. If the stock did not drop to that price, you will not be able to buy it. Click on “Buy” after you decide all or nothing. This option just means you do not want a partial buying or if you can’t get the order, kill it.
DIRECT PURCHASE PLAN
- Find companies that provide the right to buy stocks directly from their transfer agent, the company that handles their stock. Often, you will see the information on the company’s website under investor relations and DRR or DRIP programs.
- Look for the resource area to find a list of companies that give DRIP plans. Once you find the company, simply find their site and their minimums. Sometimes, there is a minimum investment with lesser amounts if you add to the account.
- Open an account with the company’s transfer agent. You can buy anytime or have automatic regular investments.
If you want to learn more new things and learn strategies about the market, BWorldpedia is the site you should visit! We provide profound and useful insights about the market across a plethora of topics related to it.